List:       lua-l
Subject:    Re: Reporting possible BUG on string.gsub
From:       Daniel van Ham Colchete <daniel.colchete () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-01-23 20:14:54

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 2:23 PM, Kristofer Karlsson <
kristofer.karlsson@gmail.com> wrote:

> I disagree, I think it's a bug.
> Bugs aren't just about getting valid output for valid inputs, it's also
> about giving clear and understandable errors whenever possible.
> string.format throws an error if it encounters an unterminated "%", so it
> only makes sense that gsub should too.
> Silently ignoring the error and doing something completely different is nog
> very friendly behaviour.
>
> > = string.format("%")
> stdin:1: invalid option '%' to 'format'

Thanks everyone for the information. My mistake. But I agree with Kristofer,
it would have been much better to have this. In my case it was user input
that lead me to this, I didn't remember I would have to filter it first
before using it with an string.gsub(). So, it would be much nicer to have
the error message instead of the undefined behavior.

Best,
Daniel