List:       ltsp-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Discuss] question:ltsp image on i-opener from QNX
From:       Tara Neier <tara_neier () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2000-03-31 23:52:12

Ah, it's not that easy.  A quick look at the file shows this is not a disk image but an archive.
If I were to run at the QNX prompt:
gzip -d -c < iopener-1.0.img.cpio.gz > /dev/hd0

I'd end up with iopener-1.0.img.cpio on my flash and not the file's contents in a bootable file
structure.  So I went about building a bootable disk image (16mb) using a loopback filesystem.  I
populated it with the contents of iopener-1.0.img.cpio, ran lilo on it, and zipped it up.  I now
have a disk image file.

What I don't have is the stones to use it.  I'm exploring this route because I don't have a
working hard drive setup yet.  Actually, I also think it would be kinda cool to offer a
linux-based screwdriver-less solution similar to the NetBSD guy.  If this thing doesn't fly, I
have a paperweight until I can get a working hard drive setup.  I'm working with the NetBSD
install, and I'm not quite ready to lose it for even a few days.

Anyone out there game to try it?

Regards,

Tara