List:       ltsp-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Ltsp-discuss] Strange crashes when Fat clients boot
From:       Steven Spencer <steven.spencer () kdsi ! com>
Date:       2018-02-28 16:16:29

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

I'd have to echo Barry. I'm not using Debian, but Ubuntu (so Debian-ish)
and have an entire set of documentation built up on the fat-client
server build that I'd happily share with you if interested. I don't want
to dis another distribution, so that isn't the goal here. We used CentOS
and Fedora Core in the past (actually for many years) and then switched
to Edubuntu, originally, because it had LTSP built-in. We then migrated
to Ubuntu when Edubuntu support went away and in the past year or year
and a half have used the fat-client build routine exclusively. I
recently did a test-build of the fat-client server using a recent
version of the unreleased Ubuntu 18.04, just to make sure that
everything would still work, and it did. Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks,
Steven G. Spencer

On 02/28/2018 09:41 AM, Barry Cisna wrote:
> Have you run memtest86, on this server from a usbstick,,,at bootup?
> Also,, does smartmon show any bad sectors on the HD?
> Sounds like lots of strange HD probs?
> What about trying a different distribution for ltsp? I run
> fedora/centos, since ltsp inception , for about 12 years, until 3
> Years   ago. Hated to make a change, to be honest. Centos development
> for ltsp had about come to a stop. Started now using Debian. Works out
> great . just some ideas.
>
> Barry
>

> On Feb 28, 2018 8:47 AM, "Rolf-Werner Eilert" <rwe-sse@osnanet.de
> <mailto:rwe-sse@osnanet.de>> wrote:
>
>     Just to give you one example, this morning my LibreOffice wouldn't
>     run anymore. I looked it up, the oosplash binary file was there -
>     but completely empty. No one else had this problem, so I waited
>     until everyone had gone, I logged out and rebooted the server:
>     LibreOffice is back.
>
>     ???
>
>     Regards
>     Rolf
>
>     Am 18.02.2018 um 13:11 schrieb Barry Cisna:
>
>         Rolf,
>
>         I never had any luck,,,and tried many times over several years
>         copyinga chroot image from a working server to a server that
>         was having problems in some fashion,such as what you are
>         experiencing. I'm sure most of the copying problem was due to
>         the /proc symlinks and many other behind the scenes symlinks.
>         Are you sure your switch that feeds the fat clients isn't
>         connected (maybe unknowingly) to a rogue dhcp server)?
>         Bottom line if you have a decent internet connection,it so
>         easy to simply delete the chroot partition by hand then just
>         build a new client image.. This can usually be done in 30 mins
>         start to finish anymore.
>         Let us know what you end up doing.
>
>         Barry
>

>         On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 3:43 AM, Rolf-Werner Eilert
>         <rwe-sse@osnanet.de <mailto:rwe-sse@osnanet.de>
>         <mailto:rwe-sse@osnanet.de <mailto:rwe-sse@osnanet.de>>> wrote:
>
>               I answer to my own mail, as the list has reacted only today.
>
>               What I eventually did was the latter: I just copied a
>         whole i386.img
>               I had on another HDD, it was a "clone" of the defect one.
>         This one
>               has been running without problems until this morning.
>
>               What was a bit strange, when I tried to copy the backup
>         one into its
>               place, it said "Disk full". So I moved the defect one to
>         another
>               partition and tried again. But still it said "Disk full".
>         Only a
>               reboot would help, now there was space enough.
>
>               The file system on this partition is Btrfs, maybe a
>         "feature" of Btrfs?
>
>               Thanks for any input!
>
>               Rolf
>

>               Am 14.02.2018 um 10:49 schrieb Rolf-Werner Eilert:
>
>                     (The list hasn't mirrored back my first mail yet, so I
>         write
> [...]

Steven G. Spencer, Network Administrator
KSC Corporate - The Kelly Supply Family of Companies
Office 308-382-8764 Ext. 1131
Mobile 402-765-8010