List:       ltsp-discuss
Subject:    [Ltsp-discuss] Many clients do not display login screen, just a blank screen
From:       John Hupp <ltsp () prpcompany ! com>
Date:       2012-11-29 22:53:37

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

I thought I might be working through my last few big problems, but
instead I found another one.

After installing Lubuntu Quantal on a newly formatted disk and setting
up LTSPsome weeks ago, I have been working only with a certain
two-machine test setup.  In contrast to past troubleshooting, I have not
been swapping in multiple server or client machines.

But to address something I was working on, I tried a different client,
and this one failed to boot altogether. Then I tried a couple more
different clients (different makes/models), and they had the same
behavior.  That behavior is that after the client displays the blue
splash screen, which then drops to black-and-white (normal behavior, I
think), it then goes to a blank (black) screen. It does not display the
GUI login screen.

If in lts.conf I set SCREEN_07=shell, then I can successfully log in to
a shell.  I also see there among the on-screen boot messages "Starting
load fallback graphics devices [fail]."

The last entry in dmesg also refers to the above failure.

The only client that works displays a (boot) message on/through the
splash screen: "lpc_ich 0000:00:1f.0: I/O space for GPIO uninitialized."

Anyone recognize this problem?