List:       ltsp-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Ltsp-discuss] No local sound on Lubuntu LTSP clients (but OK on Edubuntu)?
From:       John Hupp <ltsp () prpcompany ! com>
Date:       2012-10-17 23:40:53

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

I seem to have stumbled nearly blindly into a solution for this problem.

With the knowledge that pulseaudio is not installed by defaulton
Lubuntu, and yet I now have it installed, I can perhaps conclude that it
was installed as a dependency requirement for VLC or some other media
app I was testing.

But is it running in the LTSP client sessions?  And relatedly, do I have
to install pulseaudio in the LTSP image, or does a simple installation
on the server machine suffice?

In lxterm on the server, I ran pulseaudio and it responded with a
message like "Daeman already running."  Running pulseaudio in lxterm on
the client, it hung without response.  An unexpected response.  Ctrl-C
got me back to the prompt.

So it was not clear if pulseaudio was running in the client session.  I
did a chroot procedure into the LTSP image, then sudo apt-get install
pulseaudio, which responded with a message like "pulseaudio already has
the most current version installed."

Nonetheless I ran the command to update the image.  Then rebooted the
server and booted up the client.

LOCAL SOUND NOW WORKS!!

Interestingly, running pulseaudio in lxterm on the client still hangs.
So a why-is-that curiosity question still remains.

And if I were doing a fresh install of LTSP on Lubuntu, I would still be
foggy about exactly what was required to support local sound on the
clients, though I have perhaps enough experience now to poke around and
get it working.