List:       ltsp-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Ltsp-discuss] Random users unable to log in (LTSP on kubuntu
From:       Alwyn Noronha <alwyn.noronha () cosmefarma ! com>
Date:       2010-11-29 4:53:14

 Hi,

Thanks. Unfortunately, I cannot do any more testing since I have moved back
to kubuntu 8.04.2, and the LTSP that comes with it. It has been rock solid
for years. I only attempted an upgrade because of a disk failure on one of
two servers at one of our office locations.

The problems I have encountered with the new version are:
a) slower than the older one (both with LDM_DIRECTX=true)
b) random failures leaving the user with a black screen and only to be
solved by rebooting the thin client (sometimes up to 8 times a day)
c) random users not being to log in
d) much weaker support for older machines. 18 out of 24 PCs could not be
moved to the new LTSP because of "Out of Range" when booting.

I tried LTSP from (k)ubuntu 10.04 alternate, (k)ubuntu 10.10 alternate,
mandriva 2010 spring, opensuse 11.3

We have rather old equipment. Work fine with kubuntu 8.04.2 though.

Regards and Thanks