List:       ltsp-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Ltsp-discuss] LTSP with KDE4
From:       russell () lls ! lls ! com (Russell Brown)
Date:       2010-07-28 16:46:16

Quoth: Jeff Siddall <news@siddall.name>
>On 07/23/2010 01:08 PM, Russell Brown wrote:
>> If I boot them with the (Xorg detected) Via drivers and glx then Kde
>> crashes out just after showing the initial desktop and panel.  The
>> .xsession-errors file is some 38K long!  but the point of failure seems
>> to be "kdeinit4:  Fatal IO error:  client killed".
>>
>> FWIW, using a Gnome session on the same server and thin-client works
>> fine as does Xfce4 (although with glx, compositing turned on and shadows
>> and transparency it's not a snappy as without but proves the point that
>> Xorg/glx in itself isn't the problem) so I don't think it's the
>> thin-client(s) or LTSP that's the problem but something in
>> KDE4/plasma/etc; I'm just asking here in the hope that others have been
>> down the same path and found a solution.
>>
>I also found the KDE4 crash behavior with a Via chipset board, but KDE4
>runs fine on Atom/D945GSE chipset boards which are also relatively
>underpowered.

Is that running fine with Compositing?

>I don't think the issue is the CPU but rather something
>about the Via X driver.
>
>Replying to my own post because I just stumbled across a post from back
>in May, attached below.  Looks like the solution.
>----------
>Section "ServerFlags"
>    Option "AIGLX" "off"
>EndSection
>This switches off 3D-Acceleration for the X-Server of the thin client.

Yes that, AFAIK, disables the glx acceleration on the graphics chipset;
I've done the same with:

Section "Extensions"
		Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

...but as I originally said, with GLX/Compositing enabled both GNOME and
XFCE4 run fine.

There's something in the way KDE4 is using the GLX/Compositing stuff
that blows away LTSP clients :-(

--
 Regards,
     Russell