List:       ltsp-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Ltsp-discuss] gnome3 and LTSP
From:       "Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)" <jonathan () ubuntu ! com>
Date:       2009-11-13 10:13:28

Hi Chris

Chris Fanning wrote:
> My question is about Gnome3
> I think, as I'm sure most people here also do, that LTSP (and NX) are
> very powerful tools.
> Centralized management is important and remote desktops make it easy.
> The ability to use old or low-powered equipment is also very interesting.
>
> How is Gnome3 going to behave? Is it time to get going with Xfce?

It seems that gnome-shell (http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Screenshots)
will be the default shell for Gnome 3. It requires a display adapter
that supports compositing (so most half-decent 3D capable cards). I know
compiz works with LTSP so from a software perspective it should work
well with LTSP, and most likely even better than with an uncomposited
window manager since gnome-shell will draw a lot of stuff locally
without it having to be sent over the network.

For really old computers you could probably still use the default Gnome
interface or Xfce, but in my opinion the newer technologies that makes
more use of local hardware an relies less on network traffic is a great
step forward.

-Jonathan