List:       ltsp-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Ltsp-discuss] DPMS + ltsp5 +rdesktop
From:       SZABO Zsolt <szazs () mm ! bme ! hu>
Date:       2009-09-30 23:00:40

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009, David Burgess wrote:

> This didn't work for me with the vesa driver, but it's working with
> the ati and radeon drivers. Sort of. I can blank the monitor using a
> variable all the way up to 30 or so, but when the windows logon screen
> refreshes after ~30s the monitor comes back on.
>
> I would normally blame windows for this, but we were using an older
> debian boot image and blanking worked. Maybe an rdesktop thing? Too
> bad the HP script was using XFre86 and some closed binaries so I was
> never able to determine what it was doing differently.

I wrote about this a few weeks ago: rdesktop quits after 20-30 seconds,
and so does xinit that called it from the usr/share/ltsp/screen.d/rdesktop
script. Then X will be restarted and the countdown for blanking also
starts over ... etc.

The solution is to call xinit with an rdesktop.wrapper script,
which does not quit and executes rdesktop again and again... e.g.:

while true; do rdesktop; done

So X won't be restarted and the blanking will work... :-)

--
Zsolt