List:       ltsp-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Ltsp-discuss] LTSP5 - ldm: su user problem
From:       jam <jam () tigger ! ws>
Date:       2008-11-26 1:00:34

On Wednesday 26 November 2008 03:16:31 ltsp-discuss-
request@lists.sourceforge.net wrote:
> Recently, I had some trouble working with ltsp:
>
> I logged in on one of the ldm-servers I specified. Then I changed the user
> and tried to open a program:
>
> *Peter.Stein@blackknight:/amnt/home/Peter.Stein$ su ripley*
> *Password: *
> *Last login: Thu Nov 20 15:16:38 2008 on pts/5*
> *ripley@blackknight:/amnt/home/Peter.Stein$ vim*
> *X connection to localhost:14.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).*
>
> This also happens with root. So it is not possible to start a program as
> another user. This doesn't affect a normal user, but of course the
> administrators. ldm uses a secure ssh channel which is created by the user
> who logs in via ldm. That probably causes the problem. A possible
> workaround might be to identify `su user` with `ssh user@localhost`, but I
> am not sure if that has other implications.
> Did anyone of you find a proper way to deal with this problem?

[politely] rubbish.
Both by thought experiment, and by test, this works perfectly!

What is a (all modern distros) distro issue, and not LTSP, is that you may not
run a graphical app on someone else's display!

This is caused by not allowing tcp/ip connections on the X server. The modern
solution is ssh: ssh -X otheruser@localhost and running graphical-app.

RTBM on xauth for other ways of doing it.
Also TM on ssh_config(5)
James