List:       ltsp-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Ltsp-discuss] Manually updating initrd (solved it)
From:       Gideon Romm <ltsp () symbio-technologies ! com>
Date:       2008-11-20 19:12:50

Alberto-

On Ubuntu:  you should run:  update-initramfs -u   (instead of
mkinitramfs in the chroot).  Then, (also in the chroot)
run /usr/lib/ltsp/update_kernels (to make the nbi image for etherboot
clients).  Then, exit the chroot and run:  sudo ltsp-update-kernels (to
get the new initrd copied to the tftpboot directory.

-Gadi

On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 13:01 -0600, Alberto Alonso wrote:
> Never mind. As it happens often enough I realized that I can just
>
> chroot /opt/ltsp/i386/
> and run mkinitramfs
>
> For an unknown reason I don't seem to be executing scripts/nfs
> but that's something else.
>
> Alberto
>
> On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 11:34 -0600, Alberto Alonso wrote:
> > I need to change the scripts/nfs within the initrd image (I never got
> > LTSP to work with the DHCP server different than the NFS server
> > without modifying this file).
> >
> > However on the newer systems (Ubuntu lenny) I can't seem to be able
> > to create a working initrd.
> >
> > To extract the contents I am using:
> >
> >   mkdir it
> >   cd it
> >   gzip -dc ../initrd.img | cpio -id
> >
> > To create the new image I am using:
> >
> > find . -depth -print | cpio -o -H newc | gzip -9 > ../initrd.img
> >
> > When I do this the kernel freezes right after getting the initrd.img
> > from the tftpboot server.
> >
> > Alternatively I would like to update the actual files that
> > /usr/sbin/ltsp-update-kernels uses. But running it didn't seem
> > to include my changes when I use:
> > /opt/ltsp/i386/usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/nfs
> >

> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Alberto

Gideon Romm | Proud LTSP Developer
ltsp@symbio-technologies.com

Support LTSP!  Buy your hardware at:

        www.DisklessWorkstations.com
        www.DisklessThinClients.com

(use coupon code: LTSP5P for 5% off thin clients from DisklessThinClients.com)