List:       ltsp-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Ltsp-discuss] thin workstation HP t5000
From:       Bjorn Helgaas <bjorn.helgaas () hp ! com>
Date:       2008-08-20 20:10:12

On Thursday 31 July 2008 08:49:42 am SZABO Zsolt wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jul 2008, roland wrote:
>
> >> Oh, yep.  The section in lts.conf is needed to setup the correct hardver,
> >> etc. However, the client will not know its IP and the route to server
> >> from
> >> lts.conf... Because it has to know the network setup to be able to access
> >> the ltsp-server and lts.conf from there. Thus, the network parameters are
> >> fetched from the dhcp szerver.
> >>
> > But why does a HP SFF pc boot correctly with PXE?
> > Until now I never registered the workstations in dhcpd.conf or lts.conf
> > and I had no problem.
> > I just know and remember to have problems with those thin stations when I
> > first installed them, two years ago.
> > Couldn't there be a problem with video ram or swap or whatever. Some
> > setting?
>
> I don't think so... Please, check the /etc/dhcpd.conf at the machine from
> where the clients should obtain their IPs. And check the /var/log/syslog,
> daemon.log at that machine, too.

Roland, did you get this resolved?  I don't think this is related
to any video/swap/etc settings.

The client uses DHCP twice while booting.  First, the BIOS uses
it to discover the network settings it needs to boot (the client IP
address, the server IP address, the filename to load via TFTP, etc).
These settings are not passed on to the kernel, so the kernel uses
DHCP again to configure the NIC so it can mount your root filesystem
via NFS or NBD or whatever.

In your case, it worked the first time but not the second.  What
distro are you using?  On Ubuntu, the server's /var/log/daemon.log
should have some log messages from the DHCP daemon.  You should see
a cluster of messages like this:

  DHCPDISCOVER from 00:17:08:5d:bc:bc
  DHCPOFFER on xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx to 00:17:08:5d:bc:bc

from the BIOS DHCP request.  Normally, you would see a similar cluster
a little later from the kernel DHCP request.  If you watch that file
with "tail -f /var/log/daemon.log" while the client is booting, you
should be able to tell whether the DHCP server sees the kernel request
and responds to it.

It's possible something's wrong with the via-rhine driver or (more
likely) the interrupt routing for that device.  Is there any chance
you can compare the old, working configuration with the new one?
If you can compare the dmesg logs, it should show any interrupt
routing differences.

Bjorn