List:       ltsp-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Ltsp-discuss] Sleep when mounting root filesystem
From:       Jake Schroeder <akejay () freeshell ! org>
Date:       2003-02-26 17:12:20

Shoot, I don't know how auto-generated hostnames work.

The best solution is to do an inventory of your machines and add them to
the right files.  LTSP has too many neat features that are based on the
hostname.  Meanwhile, you'd be building a very useful inventory of your
client machines.  LTSP is meant to be a locked-down architecture.
Sometimes you'd need to add options (for different mice, monitors,
resolutions, etc.) to individual clients, and for that, you need unique
assigned hostnames.

A different fix for the slowdown is to run named, then make sure your
/etc/resolv.conf points to "nameserver 127.0.0.1".  The slowdown you are
seeing with NFS is probably happening when the server tries to
reverse-resolve your client's hostname (asking the DNS server "What is
the hostname for 192.168.0.120?" for example).  The ISP will claim there
is no such hostname, because it's not authoritative for it.  So you'd
need to set up named to be authoritative for that zone
(0.168.192.in-addr.arpa.) in order to speed things up.  Though I do not
know what hostname dhcpd is providing.

Hope to help,
- Jake