List:       ltsp-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Ltsp-discuss] RedHat 8.0 on XF86_VGA16 ltsp client
From:       Mike Wangu <mwangu () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-11-29 15:16:43

This is now resolved. I would like to thank everyone
who mailed me for their suggestions.

Pedro,

I appreciate that video cards are pretty inexpensive
these days, but we have approx. 60 clients to run on
this network; even at 6 bucks a card, that is still
that is still 360 bucks worth of budget that I do not
have. I am donating my time and possibly some 10/100
switches as the LAN (bandwidth) is pivotal to the
success of an LTSP environment. As previously stated,
this is not an option.

Anselm,

Thank you for the information you provided on your
install and what you did to get it working. After
reading of your success with the XF86_S3, I was a
little more confident in finding a solution.

Ian,

Thank you for pointing out something that should have
been GLARINGLY obvious to me: VGA16 is 16 colours and
NOT 16bit colour!

I am happy to say that this has now been resolved with
the help of Mike A. Harris, a RedHat Systems Eng
XFree86 Maintainer who had this to say:

<SNIP>
Yes, definitely ditch XFree86 3.3.6.  There is really
no useful
need for it anymore.  Any video hardware out there
should run
with XFree86 4.2.0 either with a native driver for the
card, or
by using the "vesa" driver, "fbdev" or with the "vga"
driver as a
last resort.  In the case of S3 hardware, it is much
advised to
use the "vesa" driver as the native drivers aren't
working to
well, and are unlikely to ever get much maintenance.

I dropped 3.3.6 in RHL 8.0 because it was a huge
maintenance
problem and caused a lot of user confusion and
distribution
integration confusion, as well as major problem
whenever secuirty
issues were found - since nobody upstream is
interested in 3.3.6
anymore.  I've not received any bug reports or problem
reports
really from users yet after making this decision, so I
assume
that all hardware either works well out of the box, or
that users
are able to get things up and running successfully
with "vesa" or
"vga" or even "fbdev" drivers.

I encourage users to submit via bugzilla any
information needed
to get a given card to work in 4.x, so I can change
the defaults
in future releases and erratum.

Hope this helps.

Take care,
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer

</SNIP>

To add to this, some exhaustive searching on the net
led me to a driver downloads site which had info on
the monitor (i.e. Horizontal Sync and Vertical Refresh
data). Once this was plugged into the lts.conf, the
XFree86 4.2.x server displayed fine. I have even
managed 800x600x16 (which Win 98 could not manage on
this hardware), much to my delight.

Mike H., thanks again.

Mike W.