List:       ltsp-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Ltsp-discuss] server tuning
From:       Hans Ekbrand <hans () sociologi ! cjb ! net>
Date:       2002-11-29 9:05:55

On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 01:31:34AM -0700, Kenneth Godee wrote:
> On 29 Nov 2002 08:29:58 +0100
> Ronny Aasen <ronny@datapart-as.no> wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > I have a "working" setup consisting of 1 server p4 1,5 ghz, 1 gig ram,
> > stock redhat 8.0 + gnome + ltsp rpms's
> >
> > 15 clients of p100 using etherboot floppies.
> > averyone have 100 mbit nics, and are connected to a 100 mbit switch.
> > color and resolution are ok, but i am not pleased with the speed
> > (especialy during save/load operations in openoffice)

OO prior to 1.0 was terribly slow at displaying the icons in the
load/save dialog window, what version of OO do you have?

> > is there some website/howto/docs that address server tuning, and how to
> > get the most out of you'r hardware when using ltsp ?
>
> Ronny,
> You've not given much to go on here.......
> Where's your bottle neck?
> What's the cpu load at? memory load at?
> Network load at? What kind of drive set up in server?
> Are you workstations running apps "local" (probally
> should be running openoffice)?

Do you recommend running OO locally on a P100???? Remeber that these
machines exclusively has expensive 72-pin RAM and most of them
probably have 32 Mb of RAM or less.

> Have your tried a faster workstation (something from this century)
> just to see if it helps.

Why would a faster workstation help, when the performance is bad
especially during save/load operations in openoffice? These operations
involve almost no screen redrawing so the clients will not have any
trouble in that situation.

> How much memory do your workstations have (32-64 megs?) and so on.....
> My best guess is it has more to do with the apps your running, ie. gnome vs icewm
> and openoffice probally running remote instead of local?. Openoffice takes for
> ever to open even on a stand alone modern system.

Yes, so the obvious test of the LTSP system is: how does load/save
operations work when done on the SERVER? If, and only if, it is fast on the
server and slow on the clients there can be something to gain on
running the app locally.

> Think thin!

And you suggest running OO locally and trying "a faster
workstation"??? What's thin about that?

--

Hans Ekbrand