List:       ltsp-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Ltsp-discuss] running win4lin on terminals
From:       "Charles Marcus" <CharlesM () Media-Brokers ! com>
Date:       2002-06-21 11:19:15

> From: Derek Zoolander <derek@encryptcredit.com>
> Date: 21 Jun 2002 19:18:36 +1000
>
> On Fri, 2002-06-21 at 14:41, Brent Hasty wrote:
>> Just interested in hearing any success storys out
>> there of those who have sucessfully set up win4lin
>> on thier terminal servers giving the workstations
>> legacy application support?

> Win4Lin is a good option if you want to run legacy
> apps. I have not tried the other option yet
> (codeweavers Crossover office, which I believe is
> based on Wine)
>
> Any comments??

Yes, there is still one other option, which I like even better -
Win4Lin/Tarantella.  This allos you to access the Win4Lin sessions from
anywhere (yes, even in full screen mode), even from home, and even over a
dial-up connection.

> From: Chris Bayley <lists@codeweaver.co.nz>
> Date: 21 Jun 2002 21:28:51 +1200
>
> Yip, I've had it running. Client is P266, server is
> PIII800, 10BaseT - win4lin now runs win apps faster
> than they used to run on win98 native! I want to use
> this design in a K12 environment, the only downside
> is win 98 and apps installations are required for each
> login.

This is only true for Windows itself in the Server edition.  You only have to
install the apps once.  According to a tech I spoke with, they are working
hard at sharing the Windows installation too, which woule be great - having a
full windows install for each user takes up a lot of disk space, if you have
many users.

> You won't want to  sit through a 98 install for every
> login but you can copy between /home/user. This may be
> the way it is or there may be an more economical way to
> serve up win - I haven't yet looked at the win4lin network
> product but that may be way....

Trust me, if you want multi-user, get the Server edition - or, even better
option, check out the Win4Lin/Tarantella combo.

Charles