List:       ltsp-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Ltsp-discuss] Serial Ports on Workstation
From:       Wolfgang Schweer <schweer () cityweb ! de>
Date:       2002-01-08 19:23:14

On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Sean Buck wrote:

> Recently, there has been some discussion about accessing serial ports in the
> workstations.
> I cannot figure out how to change the permissions on the serial devices in
> the  /dev directory and make them stick.

Hi,

sure, that there are a few possibilities, but perhaps the right settings
in /etc/devfsd.conf will do the job.
As an example look at my version of that file:

[snip]
# /etc/devfsd.conf

REGISTER	.*		MKOLDCOMPAT
UNREGISTER	.*		RMOLDCOMPAT
REGISTER     floppy/.*    	PERMISSIONS root.root rw-rw-rw-
LOOKUP		.*		MODLOAD

[snip-end]

This way the floppy-devices get the wanted permissions.

So I'd try it with a line like
REGISTER     tts/.*            PERMISSIONS ...what you want....
REGISTER     cua/.*            ...
but I'm not so aquainted with configuring devfsd.
You'd probably have to change /modules.devfs as well:

[snip, parts only]
# /etc/modules.devfs

# Floppies
alias     /dev/floppy		floppy
alias     /dev/fd*		floppy

# Serial ports
alias     /dev/tts*		serial
alias     /dev/ttyS*		/dev/tts
alias     /dev/cua*		/dev/tts

[snip-end]

With these settings even module loading is triggered, when a device is
referenced.

Hope it helps

Wolfgang