List:       ltsp-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Ltsp-discuss] sound with LTSP-3.0
From:       Wolfgang Schweer <schweer () cityweb ! de>
Date:       2002-01-05 14:57:59

On Sat, 5 Jan 2002, vcare wrote:

> I have downloaded the RPM from k12ltsp., and installed successfully.
> When i add entry in lts.conf as SOUND=Y
>
> the workstation halts at the following screen
> starting syslogd
> Running Sound Server
> aumix: error opening mixer
> Usage: init 0123456SsQqAaBbCcUu

Hi,

may be the appropiate modules are not loaded and so /dev/mixer is
not available. Have you looked at it?

I'm using that rpm, too. It works for me with these settings/files:

File /etc/rc.sound

-----------------------snip----------------------------------
#!/bin/sh

. /etc/ltsp_functions

SOUND=`get_cfg SOUND`
if [ "${SOUND}" = "Y" ]; then
     echo "Running Sound Server"
     modprobe sound
     for i in 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10; do
	SMODULE=`get_cfg SMODULE_${i}`
	if [ "${SMODULE}" ]; then
	    SMODULE=`echo $SMODULE | sed s/.o$//g`
    	    modprobe ${SMODULE}
	fi
     done

     /sbin/nasd -aa &
# -v50 means: 50% of maximal volume is enough for me
# you may check out the right value
     /sbin/aumix-minimal -v50 -w100 -c90 -m100
fi
---------------------snap----------------------------------

File /etc/lts.conf (interesting parts only)

---------------------snip------------------------------

[moon]
    XSERVER         = XF86_S3
    XF86CONFIG_FILE = XF86Config.moon
    RUNLEVEL        = 5
    SOUND	    = Y
    SMODULE_01	    = sb
    SMODULE_02	    = opl3 io=0x388
    SMODULE_03	    = v_midi
    USE_NFS_SWAP    = N
    SWAPFILE_SIZE   = 8m
    RCFILE_01	    = rc.mfloppy

I'm using ltsp-2.09, but had to compile my own kernel, cause
the kernel provided doesn't include isapnp support.
So I had to modify rclinux as well to insert the isapnp-module
(having a nic that is isa, too).
My configuration of devfsd is modified too - so check it out.
The soundcard (isapnp) has a chip called ES1868. This card is
sb-compatible, hence the above listed modules.

Hope it helps

Wolfgang