List:       ltsp-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Ltsp-discuss] local floppy revisited
From:       Wolfgang Schweer <schweer () cityweb ! de>
Date:       2002-01-05 11:23:34

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Rick Younie wrote:

> Jim McQuillan wrote:
> >
> > Rick Younie wrote:

> >> You mean no mknod or no 0 :-) ?  /dev/fd0 doesn't exist on
> >> the ws here -- Georg's latest termserv debs.
> >>
> > Rick,
> >
> > when using devfs, the device nodes will automatically
> > appear when the floppy device module has been loaded.
> >
> > So, you need to load the floppy.o module, then you should
> > be able to do the chmod.
>
> Hi,
>
> Fair enough.  You either have to explicitly load the floppy
> module or else mknod.  Starting floppyd on the workstation
> doesn't load floppy.o itself and an "mdir a:" on the ws will
> try and access the server floppy drive. ( not a whine, just for
> completeness.  Mtools has been problematic for quite a few people
> I talked with. )
>
> Rick

Hi,

Rick was quite right in doing it that way.
He was testing what I had proposed. And I was using devfsd configured
to automatically load modules when referencing a floppy-device, but
hadn't explicitly documented this. He found the way out anyway.

But let's go ahead:

Jim,

wouldn't it be nice, to reconsider the configuration of devfsd?
It's much more handy. No longer insmoding or modprobing modules or
making nods or changing permissions of devices manually.
BTW: it would be nice, too, if the isapnp module was included.

Wolfgang

Wolfgang