List:       ltsp-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Ltsp-discuss] New Set-up suggestions
From:       John Cuzzola <vdrifter () enterprise ! sd73 ! bc ! ca>
Date:       2001-12-28 22:49:11

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, James Vasey wrote:

> right after abandoning using a separate DHCP from terminal server, i'm
> going to combine the two on a different network, though, what i'm
> wondering, can i allow my terminals to log-into a server, which they
> can only physically access through the terminal server? i.e the main
> part of the network is on eth0 and the terminal part of eth1, can the
> terminals pass through? Strange question i accept.

*** The default setup with ltsp is to run things off the server. So when
you are on a client *running* Netscape you are actually on the server
running Netscape. Hence if you can get out through eth0 on the server then
you
can also get out through eth0 from a client (because you are already on
the server and the packet source address is the server not the
clients!). Now if you're running LOCAL apps then you are actually on the
client and packets can go from the client into eth1 and out eth0 on the
server as long as you have ip forwarding enabled:

sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1

Make sure your routing is correct so the packet can find it's way back to
the client (you might have to use ip-masquarading). Finally if you're
asking whether DHCP will work for both eth0 and eth1 segments then yes it
will provided the dhcp service is on the server. DHCP doesn't cross over
interfaces/segments.