List:       ltsp-developer
Subject:    Re: [Developer] Possible way to detect and start template building
From:       Georg Baum <Georg.Baum () gmx ! de>
Date:       2000-10-05 19:31:43

Jason Bechtel wrote:

> I propose a compromise.  Modularize the installation by both
> distribution *and* subsystem.  This allows for maximum flexibility while
> minimizing redundant work.  An example would be the nfsserver
> discrepancy between SuSE and other distros.  In this case, there would
> be a special script to handle the nfsserver config under each different
> "layout."  Then the distro-specific scripts could call the appropriate
> nfsserver install script for their layout.
>
> >From a maintenance standpoint, this is a good solution.  If a particular
> layout changes or develops slight irregularities between distros, then
> one only needs to modify the script which sets up that particular
> service, no matter what the distro.  If a distro changes layouts, then
> it is merely a matter of determining which version of the distro this is
> (distro script modification only) and calling the appropriate
> service-layout script to perform the actual work.

Hi Jason,
I think this is something reasonable. I proposed the other scheme mainly
because I wanted to avoid duplicated work, and this is also the case
here. What remains still unsolved is the problem of new versions of
distros and derived distros. Maybe we can make the distro scripts
"intelligent" enough to handle also newer versions (issue a warning, and
treat it then like the last known version, assuming nothing has
changed).
I see that Jims point of separating the maintainance on a per
distribution basis is important, because only that allows to keep track
of changes easily.

Greetings,

Georg