List:       ltsp-developer
Subject:    [Developer] split of install.sh in two parts/ scripts?
From:       Stephan Lauffer <lauffer () ph-freiburg ! de>
Date:       2000-10-04 8:13:31

Hi all!

A lot of stuff about LTSP is rumbling in my brain... about one topic
IŽve talked to Jim:
What about splitting install.sh in two parts:

- the first part takes care of the install (copying libs, binaries, conf files...)
- the second part will take care of pre-building the templates

The goal of this will be that we add some distro detecting stuff to the 1st
script and then start a install_templates_[$distro].sh script which
is specially build for the runnig distro. This is like a modular design...

The first script will run on the most distros and donŽt need changes
for each distro (if we add some stuff about the libs). So if we only
have to change code in the template script, weŽll get a better overview
about the code and weŽll make it more easy to bring LTSP to other distros.

Some weeks ago IŽve talked to the LSB mailinglist with the question how
to detect the running linux distributuin. The result of the feedback was:
1. LSB has not to take care of the distro name and version number
but:
2. They decided (some days before my question) that all LSB compatible distros will
ship a modified uname version which will post you the necessary infos.

By the time we can use a usefull behavior of many distros:
/etc/SuSE-release
/etc/slackware-version
(debian and rhar also have such files)

Now, what do you think about this? Other ideas, wishes?

Liebe Gruesse,
Stephan Lauffer

[ Paedagogische Hochschule Freiburg - Systemtechnik - Germany    ]
[ Abteilung ZIK: <a href="http://www.ph-freiburg.de/zik">WWW</a> ]