List:       ltsp-developer
Subject:    Re: [Ltsp-developer] autologin/guest login button
From:       jam <jam () tigger ! ws>
Date:       2008-02-09 4:22:34

[snip]
> > ltsp-developer-request@lists.sourceforge.net wrote:
> > > well, thanks to Ryan Niebur, we have patches to get the one remaining
> > > feature freegeek would need to switch from sdm to LDM.
> > >
> > > essentially, it adds a boolean option to lts.conf, and if set, a
> > > button
> > > appears and if that button is clicked, it attempts to do an autologin.
> ...snip...
> > my preference is to have it by a separate config. I use terminals (as
> > I'm sure others do eg display signs) that login but don't use a keyboard
> > or mouse.
>
> yes, i don't think these patches interfere with your preference. it adds
> an additional feature. autologin support still works.
>
> > The current LDM works perfectly (well my patched version including
> > Francis' patches)
>
> i added francis's patch already.
>
> i added another patch, mentioned on this list earlier:
>
> so now autologin requires LDM_AUTOLOGIN=True, and then you can
> optionally specify LDM_USERNAME (defaulting to the thin-client's
> hostname) and/or LDM_PASSWORD (defaulting to the username).
>
> > (I also log to syslog, not to local ldm.log) :-)
>
> if you have patches, please submit them for review.

Ummm, I um, don't like the coding style, and since I needed to do lots
of debuging, I applied indent and headered the code:
/*-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 * spawn_greeter -- Launch the greeter program.
 *                Save stdin and stdout in the ldminfo struct.
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
void spawn_greeter()
{
     dump_cmdline("spawn_greeter", greet);

etc, so diffs for patches wont compute :-)
basically I replaced these:

   fprintf(ldmlog, "spawn_greeter failed to execute:\n");
   dump_cmdline(greet);
   die("Exiting ldm\n");

with

   syslog (LOG_INFO, "[greeter] spawn_greeter failed to execute:");
   die("Exiting ldm");

When I update the latest ldm to log-to-syslog I'll submit patches.

WHY DO THIS:
On a keyboard-less / mouse-less display ltsp box I wanted to be able to
check ldm login status by watching logs *on the server* to see what the
WS was doing

James