List:       ltp-list
Subject:    Re: [LTP] Controller area network (CAN) protocol support test cases
From:       Oliver Hartkopp <oliver.hartkopp () volkswagen ! de>
Date:       2008-10-28 8:42:41

Robert Schwebel wrote:
> Hi Subrata,

>>> Hi Subrata,
>>>
>>> i have no objections. I created some test-apps in
>>>
>>> http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/socketcan/trunk/test/
>>>
>>> for development and tutorial purposes. But at first glance this does not
>>> fit into the Linux Test Project.
>>>
>>> I would like to go a bit deeper into LTP before i can give you a
>>> detailed answer - but it should be no problem at all to share test cases
>>> (under GPLv2).
>>>
>> Did you find out how we can integrate the above test case infrastructure
>> for CAN into LTP ?  In case you would also like to contribute these test
>> cases (above URL), you can reply to this mail with:
>>
>> Signed-Off-By: Oliver Hartkopp <oliver.hartkopp@volkswagen.de>
>>
>> which then gives me the right to include the same.

Hello Subrata,

sorry for the delay. Of course you may use the mentioned test cases on
the public SocketCAN SVN on BerliOS under GPL v2:

Signed-Off-By: Oliver Hartkopp <oliver.hartkopp@volkswagen.de>

But these test cases are only limited to some cases i wanted to check
during the development phase, so there are sometimes ...

- too easy to have an evidence
- too special to help for a general test

> It may be possible to add a virtual can interface to a box, then run
> tests against itself, but according to our experience (we have been
> involved into the design & implementation of SocketCAN), it is of
> limited help, because usual problems come up with real hardware.

Using multiple instances of the virtual CAN driver (vcan) makes sense
and all of my current tests (for the network layer stuff) make use of
the virtual CAN driver. Of course some problems only emerge on real
hardware, but AFAICS testing HW drivers is not the main focus of LTP,
right? We need some test stuff for the CAN network layer functionality
that can be also performed on weird CPU architectures without real CAN
hardware.

IMO the most interesting topic to test in the CAN subsystem are (with
priority):
1. the filtersets of the CAN core
2. the socket options of the can-raw sockets
3. the filters and timeouts of the can-bcm

Due to a sleepless night, i got an idea how to put all this (Point 1&2)
into one test program :-]

To get this running i would appreciate if Robert could create some LTP
CAN test base framework which creates four virtual CAN interfaces (vcan0
.. vcan3) with 'ip link add type vcan' & 'ifconfig vcanx up' and
probably a basic send/recv test. I recently added the missing
documentation for creating vcan devices in
Documentation/networking/can.txt .

On top of this work i would write and contribute a test that would check
the full CAN core filter mechanism and the can-raw sockopts.

Would this be a reasonable approach for you?

Best regards,
Oliver