List:       ltp-list
Subject:    Re: [LTP] Autoconf
From:       Mike Frysinger <vapier () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2008-10-26 21:51:19

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 26 October 2008, Robert Schwebel wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 05:06:12PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > On Sunday 26 October 2008, Robert Schwebel wrote:
> > > So IMHO, there are only two sane solutions:
> > >
> > > * autotools
> > > * kbuild
> > >
> > > They have enough critical mass in the community that they really do
> > > solve people's problems.
> >
> > i think those serve different markets.  autoconf is for easily
> > discovering all the weird host idiosyncrasies while kbuild is for people
> > to easily customize a build of something.  we arent talking about making
> > people manually select test suites, just to have the tests be able to
> > figure out a bit of what will and wont compile.
>
> Well, part of the recent discussion was also about making tests for
> example architecture dependend; this could also be achieved with kbuild.

i think the point of that was to try and address this ifdef mess we have now.
which autoconf would replace.

> However, autotools would be my very favourite. IMHO, there are a few
> issues which have to be taken into account:
>
> - full autotools (autoconf+automake+libtool) is slow, compared to hand
>   written makefiles
>
> - autoconf-only may have issues, becuase the makefiles themselfs stay
>   handwritten in that case and thus may behave differently from what
>   people are used to

i think the latter is the way to go.  if we structure the makefiles simply
enough (have autoconf output 1 file that the makefiles will all include), it
shouldnt be a big deal.  i'm also very keen on keeping the capability we have
today: going into any subdir and having `make` work on an up-to-date system
without any other overhead.
-mike