List:       ltp-list
Subject:    Re: [LTP] Autoconf
From:       Robert Schwebel <r.schwebel () pengutronix ! de>
Date:       2008-10-26 20:59:43

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 04:33:12PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > > ive never heard of waf.  picking "the new hot system" that has no real
> > > penetration or community is a bad idea.  autoconf is probably the best at
> > > the moment.  especially because people seem intent on using LTP for
> > > non-Linux targets.
> >
> > Although you put that in a somewhat troll-ish way, that was my original
> > concern about using waf.
>
> it wasnt trollish as much as fact.  every time i review a new build system,
> all i see are mistakes and design limitations that autotools addressed and
> overcame ages ago.

Right; being the maintainer of ptxdist, with over 400 packets being
cross compiled to several architectures (bfin, x86, arm, powerpc, with
glibc and uclibc), I'v seen *so* many people who thought they could do
it better than the autotools but forgot half of the use cases, that it
really hurts.

So IMHO, there are only two sane solutions:

* autotools
* kbuild

They have enough critical mass in the community that they really do
solve people's problems.

rsc
     Hannoversche Str. 2, 31134 Hildesheim, Germany
   Phone: +49-5121-206917-0 |  Fax: +49-5121-206917-9