List:       ltp-coverage
Subject:    Re: [Ltp-coverage] geninfo: ERROR: foo.gcno: reached unexpected end of file
From:       Peter Oberparleiter <oberpar () linux ! vnet ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2013-07-01 11:19:06

On 18.06.2013 19:20, John Smith wrote:
> Thanks for your response. I still get the error when using latest CVS.
> Ive attached the output of the command that I run (including
> '--debug'), which is :
>
> lcov --debug --follow --no-external --capture --initial --directory
> /usr/local/src/glusterfs --output-file /tmp/glusterfs_base.info

The output you sent indicates that the .gcno file in question is
different in format than what lcov expects. This may indicate an
incompatibility in lcov or a bug in GCC.

To confirm which of these cases applies, I ran the gcov-dump tool
provided by vanilla gcc 4.7.2 and 4.8.1 on the .gcno file described by
your output. The result is in both cases:

file.gcno:  01450000:  16:LINES
file.gcno:tag `00000001' is incorrectly nested
file.gcno:    00000001:   2:UNKNOWN
file.gcno:    00000003:21168128:UNKNOWN

In my opinion, this is an indication that the GCC version you are using
generates corrupted .gcno files. Due to the way that GCC's gcov tool is
implemented, it silently ignores the invalid record that makes lcov
abort processing, potentially resulting in incorrect coverage output.

My suggestion would be to check if a newer GCC version is available and
see if the problem persists with that version. If it does, I would
recommend opening a bug report with the provider of that GCC version to
have this behavior investigated.

In the meantime, the only way to circumvent this problem is to use an
older GCC version if at all possible.

Regards,
   Peter Oberparleiter

--
Peter Oberparleiter
Linux on System z Development - IBM Germany