List:       ltp-coverage
Subject:    Re: [Ltp-coverage] LCOV
From:       Peter Oberparleiter <oberpar () linux ! vnet ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2012-11-30 12:21:16

On 30.11.2012 06:33, Manikandan v wrote:
> sir let me inform you my problem very shortly.Am doing a project which
> requires a perfect testing of software, so i have chosen LCOV as the tool.
> for this purpose i have installed GCOV(version 4.6.1) and LCOV(version
>   1.11 pre (CVS 1.93))  and i follow the compilation procedure as in the
> document which is attaching along with this mail. When i go for the step-
> "capturing the current coverage state to a file(works only after the
> application has been started and stopped aleast once )"  with the command
> "lcov --directory appdir --capture --output-file app.info" , getting
> responds like  "Found gcov version: 4.6.1
> geninfo: ERROR: cannot read appdir!"(appdir is the directory in which the
> program resides).

Please ensure that "appdir" exists, is a directory containing the files
created during compilation and you have the corresponding access
privileges to access this directory.

> Getting html output is very important to us, but when i
> am trying to achieve with the command "genhtml app.info" , getting responds
> like " genhtml: ERROR: cannot read file app.info! ".

In the instruction list that you quoted, app.info is the name of the
data file that is generated by the previous step. Because the previous
step failed with the error you mentioned, the file is not generated and
this step also fails.

>                                                                  I am
> running out of time sir, i would like to get responds from you as early as
> possible. It will be more helpful to me if  you send me a file which
> consists of each step to be concerned in compilation procedure and when
> using this tool.And please clear me what it means by " works only after the
> application has been started and stopped aleast once "

lcov can be used to collect coverage data for an application that has
been correspondingly instrumented using GCC's coverage option. lcov can
only be used after said application has started and ended. Only then are
the data files available which lcov/gcov uses as input.

I recommend downloading the lcov .tar.gz file, unpacking it and
examining the files under the example/ sub-directory. It contains a
functioning setup for collecting coverage data for a sample project.

Regards,
   Peter Oberparleiter

--
Peter Oberparleiter
Linux on System z Development - IBM Germany