List:       ltp-coverage
Subject:    Re: [Ltp-coverage] Improving --demangle-cpp performance
From:       Peter Oberparleiter <oberpar () linux ! vnet ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2012-11-29 12:41:50

Hi,

On 23.11.2012 07:23, Olly Betts wrote:
> Currently --demangle-cpp is very slow because it runs c++filt each time
> there's a symbol to decode.  For example, for Xapian (http://xapian.org/)
> c++filt gets run 14326 times, and passing --demangle-cpp makes genhtml
> take almost 5 times as long:

Thanks for the thorough analysis. I agree that this should be improved
and your approach of using c++filt in filter mode sounds promising. Your
current patch leaves some error recovery questions open though:

1. According to the man page, open3 doesn't return false if the
specified command fails
2. Should the c++filt process die somewhere along the way, the next
write/read would cause a SIGPIPE which would need to be handled accordingly.

I'll see if I can add this handling.

Regards,
   Peter Oberparleiter

--
Peter Oberparleiter
Linux on System z Development - IBM Germany