List:       lprng
Subject:    Re: [LPRng] Citrix ICA clients?
From:       papowell () astart ! com
Date:       1999-03-31 18:44:11

> From majordomo-owner@iona.com Tue Mar 30 17:46:23 1999
> Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 20:12:33 -0500
> From: Sean Philip Korb <spkorb@eos.ncsu.edu>
> To: lprng@iona.com
> Subject: [LPRng] Citrix ICA clients?
>
> This is a shot in the dark, but what if you are running LPRng on a Solaris
> client, and for some odd reason, you want to be able to print from your
> NT Terminal Server Edition/Citrix MetaFrame thin client Win-doze application
> (like Word, or something) to your networked LPD Unix printers?

1. You must have the TCP/IP support installed on the server
2. You set up a print queue with TCP/IP printing
3. You set the printer name to \\server\queue
4. Thats it.

> I thought maybe one of you may have run into this before.  Citrix docs
> for their WinFrame and MetaFrame clients are a little sketchy if you
> want to do something serious.  The Solaris ICA client looks for lpsched
> to be running, and complains bitterly if it can't find it.  The config
> files show how to keep it from looking for it, but it doesn't show how to
> change the printer command from lp to lpr, or how to specify printers in
> your printcap.
>
> They've suggested on several occasions that I simply use the LPD utility
> on the NT server side of things, but ummm.... we use Kerberos.  NT doesn't.
> Any experience out there with this?  Hate mail?  Elvis impersonations?

Yes.

1. Install a dummy 'lpsched' program that simply flashes the right
   status.  This is called 'evil' but it shuts stuff up.

2. Install LPRng clients (including the lpstat, lp support) on Solaris.

If you have any other problems,  then call me - I might have some additional
ideas.