List:       lprng
Subject:    Re: [LPRng] remove 2.6 print packages ?
From:       Bertrand Decouty <Bertrand.Decouty () irisa ! fr>
Date:       1999-03-22 13:30:08

papowell@astart.com a écrit :

> > Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 17:06:20 -0600 (CST)
> > From: "Dugal James P." <jpd@usl.edu>

> > wade@freya.cc.pdx.edu wrote:
> > > I am in the proccess of making an lprng package to install on solaris 2.6.
> > > And didn't remember running across any docs referring to the removal of
> > > the solaris print packages. Has anyone removed or recommend removing the
> > > solaris packages:
> > >
> > > SUNWpcr
> > > SUNWpcu
> > > SUNWpsr
> > > SUNWpsu
> > > SUNWpsf
> > > SUNWscplp
>
> Using the "don't put your hand in the dragons mouth" philosophy,
> I really suggest you don't touch these.  Just turn off the various
> printing startup stuff.
>
> Patrick

Right, no need to remove any package.

I have made available the hand-made script i use to install LPRng on
every new Sun Solaris SPARCstation. It works fine (for me). Available at
ftp://ftp.irisa.fr/pub/install-LPRng.sh

Warning:
	- the comments are in french;
	- the script relies on various file to know if the machine on which it
is currently executing is a print server or not. If it is, it installs 2
cron jobs to download an error handler and to save the log files.

	- i don't know if you really need to reboot the machine as the script
is executed unattented at the generation, so the machine reboots
automatically after the final step.
	- you can apply it several times, in case you upgrade LPRng version
and, in this case, no need to reboot.
	- a log file is kept of what has been done.

Good luck with it.

bd