List:       lprng
Subject:    RE: [LPRng] Different hostnames for df and cf files from remote h ost
From:       "David, William" <william.david () lmco ! com>
Date:       1998-10-30 18:16:56

Keith Richardson writes:
> > I am using LPRng v3.4.1 on a Solaris 2.6 system.  I have a remote host
(an
> > IBM mainframe in fact) which sends a data file of the following name:
> >    dfA950ODC3
> >
> > And a control file of the following name:
> >    cfA950odc3.orl.lmco.com
> >
> > The problem is that per the LPRng-Howto manual (section 7.6 - Job
Control
> > File), the hostname contained in the control and data file names must be
> > identical, otherwise the job will not be accepted on an LPRng host.
>
>    We had the same problem.  To fix, we modified common/cleantext.c
>to remove the check.  In version 3.5.2:
>common/cleantext.c, line 183 -> 183-185
>                if( tlen < len ) len = tlen;

>                if( tlen < len ) len = tlen;
>#if 0
>                /* don't check that file name is correct */
>
>common/cleantext.c, line 202 -> 204-205
>                }

>                }
>#endif

This fix worked as advertised, thanks.   It would be nice if this could be
an option in either the lpd.conf file or printcap entry.  RFC1179 does not
specify that the hostname in the data file needs to be the same as the host
name in the control file, although the LPRng documentation clearly states
that this is an LPRng requirement.

>See the 'fix_bad_job' flag discussion.
>
>Patrick Powell

The fix_bad_job flag did not work, I had already tried that before sending
the note although I did not mention this in my first note.

Bill David