List:       lprng
Subject:    [LPRng] Re: Problems with ~ or national characters
From:       "Norbert Hahn" <HAHN () hrz3 ! hrz ! tu-darmstadt ! de>
Date:       1998-10-29 14:49:08

Problem solved...

On Oct 5, 1998 I wrote...

> To:            lprng@iona.com,linux-net@vger.rutgers.edu
> Subject:       Problems with ~ or national characters
> Date:          Mon, 5 Oct 1998 17:12:09 +0100

> Hi again,
>
> this is the next iteration...
>
> Although the parameters
>
>     fix_bad_job
> and
>     safe_chars=$~äöüüÄÖÜß\/#
>
> are set in /etc/lpd.conf
>
> our Novell Netware servers still cannot send jobs for printing.

The reason for that long suffering was that I misunderstood  lpd.conf

Originally my /etc/lpd.conf contained the line

# fix_bad_job@

which I uncommented to

fix_bad_job@

which is wrong! After changing that line to

fix_bad_job

(without the trailing @) everything related to national characters and "\"
works now well. In the control file the national characters are replaced
by the underline character, which is quite acceptable.

Many thanks to all who helped me !!

Norbert Hahn