List:       lprng
Subject:    Re: LPRng: Questions about accounting
From:       Rick Cochran <rcc2 () cornell ! edu>
Date:       2005-01-28 19:41:58

Toby,

I think you're out of luck.

But how about this for a modest proposal:

Many recent printer models (what I say will apply to the Xerox Phaser series
since that's what I use) keep detailed job accounting data.  This data is
available as arrays via SNMP.  If LPRng sends the jobs with numeric indexes as
user names, then one could possibly set up an SNMP trap (I know nothing about
this) which would report job accounting information to your server whenever a
job finished.  You could use the numeric index to verify that you were getting
the data for the right job.

This would eliminate the need to wait between jobs.

Let me know when you get it working.  :-)

-Rick