List:       lprng
Subject:    Re: LPRng: still strange queue stops
From:       walter harms <wharms () bfs ! de>
Date:       2004-12-18 11:18:10

Hi Sam,
my system is quiet the opposit.
P4 pc's with an 2.4.19. there are actualy 6 pc's equal
installed/load/board but the stopps occurs mostly at random.

we have changed so far (with out success)
1. filesystem
2. shifted some load
3. changed Gfx-card ( because of DMA)
4. tried several options

checked for filepointers,memory etc.

and the error seems hard to reproduce since all tests to get the queue
stalled at will failed so far.

i LOOKS that sometimes the workerprocess does not return/stop, no idea why.

It would be helpfull if some new algorithem for handling a large pile of
files could be introduced (my humble attemps failed so far).

re,
walter

ps: i trying to move the a later kernel but we have some driver
difficulties :( and i have no time to solve that, still.

Sam Warren wrote:
> Walter,
>
> What hardware platform are you on? I had a problem with queues stalling for
> no reason when I was running my print server on my mainframe. I think it had
> to do with the virtualized network connections. I am not certain but my
> hypothesis is that the print server would wait for some response from the
> printer but that response would sometimes get lost in the IP stack of my
> mainframe and not get through to the VM linux server.
>
> My problems went away when I moved to an Athalon 64 processor based IBM
> server.
>
> Sam

with:                           | example:
subscribe LIST <mailaddr>       |  subscribe lprng-digest myname@host.org

If you have major problems,  call Patrick Powell or one of the friendly
staff at Astart Technologies for help.  Astart also does support for LPRng.
Also, check the Web Page at: http://www.lprng.com for any announcements.
Astart Technologies  (LPRng - Print Spooler http://www.lprng.com)
6741 Convoy Court
San Diego, CA 92111