List:       lprng
Subject:    Re: LPRng: too many errors, only workers here
From:       Patrick Powell <papowell () astart ! com>
Date:       2004-10-05 16:45:03

> From owner-lprng@www.lprng.com Thu Sep 30 16:19:20 2004
> Subject: LPRng: too many errors, only workers here
> To: lprng@lprng.com
> From: juergen.northe@junghans-fwt.de
> Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 19:41:57 +0200
>
> I have found strange behavior of LPRng working together with a
> perl/ghostscript ps2pdf script.
>
> This combination worked in the past (RH 7.2 - 8.0) without difficulties but
> since RedHat dropped
> LPRng from the distrib-CDs, my trio sometimes -not predictable - comes out
> on strike.
> After a reboot it works again (same client, same printjob, etc)
>

> -------------------------- environment
> different hardware = P2 266 Compaq Proliant / Dual Xeon 3,0 GHz Tarox Intel
> Servers (all with RAID)
> OS = Fedora FC1 / FC2 (2.6.8-1)
> rpmbuild LPRng, SPEC without modification =
> ftp://ftp.lprng.com/pub/LPRng/LPRng/LPRng-3.8.27-1.src.rpm
> XP Client = LPR Port, with HP ColorLaserJet 5 / Lexmark Optra Color 1200 PS
> printcap=
> ..
> ps2pdf|PDF-Server:\
>         :bk:sh:mx#0:ml#0:\
>         :lp=/dev/null:\
>         :lpd_bounce=true:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/ps2pdf:\
>         :if=/usr/local/bin/ps2pdf/pdfmail.pl:
>
> -------------------------- how it happens
> The Client prints as usually his request to the PDF-Printer (HP/Lexmark)
> via LPR to the LPRng Server.
> LPRng invokes the perl script and nothing else happens, no result, nothing.
> The 'lpq -c -n5 -Pps2pdf' shows me the following result:

I suspect the pdftops script is the cause of problems here.  One of the
issues with PDF is that it usually needs some temp file directory.
Can you send me the details of the pdfmail.pl script?

Patrick

with:                           | example:
subscribe LIST <mailaddr>       |  subscribe lprng-digest myname@host.org

If you have major problems,  call Patrick Powell or one of the friendly
staff at Astart Technologies for help.  Astart also does support for LPRng.
Also, check the Web Page at: http://www.lprng.com for any announcements.
Astart Technologies  (LPRng - Print Spooler http://www.lprng.com)
6741 Convoy Court
San Diego, CA 92111