List:       lprng
Subject:    Re: LPRng: filter error
From:       Patrick Powell <papowell () astart ! com>
Date:       2003-07-31 19:40:18

> From lprng@lprng.com Wed Jul 30 18:41:15 2003
> Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:05:48 -0700
> From: David Bear <David.Bear@asu.edu>
> Subject: LPRng: filter error
> To: lprng@lprng.com
>
> I must be missing something obvious.  I've written a filter in python
> and placed it in the proper location /usr/local/libexec/filters/.
>
> Then updated printcap accordingly.
>
> holdqueue|server queue \
>         :tc=.srvr:server:rw \
>         :lp=/tmp/holdqueue \
>         :filter=/usr/local/libexec/filters/txt2pdf -Middwb@mainex1.asu.edu
>         :oh=assurbanipal.pp.asu.edu
>
> Yet, when I print, I get
>
> lpq -lll -Pholdqueue
> Printer: holdqueue@assurbanipal 'server queue'
>  Queue: no printable jobs in queue
>  Server: no server active
>  Rank   Owner/ID                  Class Job Files                 Size
> Time
> error  iddwb@moroni+940             A   940 ERROR: aborting operations
>
> Still, the txt2pdf has perms 751.  Ive run checkpc and lpc reread.
>
> Any hints as to what is happening?
> (yes, python does live in /usr/local/bin/python)
>
> --
> David Bear
> phone: 	480-965-8257
> fax: 	480-965-9189
> College of Public Programs/ASU
> Wilson Hall 232
> Tempe, AZ 85287-0803
>  "Beware the IP portfolio, everyone will be suspect of trespassing"

The filter is running UID lpd GID lpd.  Check the UID/GID on the
/usr/local/libexec/filters file.

You can do some debugging by having the filter send messages to STDOUT
so you can see stuff such as the permissions on the executable.

Fix:  You need to make scripts executable AND readable...

chmod -R a+rx /usr/local/libexec/filters

with:                           | example:
subscribe LIST <mailaddr>       |  subscribe lprng-digest myname@host.org

If you have major problems,  send email to papowell@astart.com with the word
LPRNGLIST in the SUBJECT line.