List:       lprng
Subject:    Re: LPRng: The dreadful 79.00FE HP 8150 error
From:       Patrick Powell <papowell () astart ! com>
Date:       2003-07-30 20:47:18

I am totally baffled.  Could you send me the version that has the
'invisible' characters as well.  I have stared at this and can find
no reasonable reason why there should be a difference.

What I would like to try is to modify the hp3 to hp3test DYNAMICALLY
and see what happens.  You can do this by setting up two print queues -
one hp3 and hp3test and sending a job to one.  Then copy the job from
the queue to the other queue and send it.

Call me on the phone if you feel brave and/or masochistic enough
to try this.

Patrick Powell                 Astart Technologies
papowell@astart.com            6741 Convoy Court
Network and System             San Diego, CA 92111
  Consulting                   858-874-6543 FAX 858-751-2435
LPRng - Print Spooler (http://www.lprng.com)

> From lprng@lprng.com Tue Jul 29 20:42:20 2003
> Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 19:22:54 -0700
> From: Akop Pogosian <akopps@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
> To: lprng@lprng.com
> Subject: Re: LPRng: The dreadful 79.00FE HP 8150 error
>
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 10:11:07AM -0700, Patrick Powell wrote:
> > Can you tell me what the slight difference is?
> >
> > Patrick
> >

> I think the only difference was that the the references to the queue
> names but I have been only comparing the ASCII strings printed by
> snoop -x 0.  I now realize that not all characters sent to the printer
> can be represented in ASCII, and so, snoop represents those as dots. I
> have the complete log files if you want to see them..
>
> When the printer was referred to by name hp3 (which caused it to
> crash), the following was sent to it:
>
> # Some of the dots are either newlines or non-ascii characters
> "\2raw\n"
> "\002143 cfA366gold\n"
>
> Hgold
> Pakopps
> Jsmbprn.001291.1Fa47n
> Cgold
> Lakopps
> Aakopps@gold+366
> D2003-07-22-21:40:33.923
> Qhp3
> Nsmbprn.001291.1Fa47n
> fdfA366gold
> UdfA366gold
>
> "\003201832 dfA366gold\n"
>
> "%-12345X@PJL.@PJL RESET.@PJL JOB NAME = "akopps smbprn.001291.1
> Fa47n:hp3" DISPLAY = "akopps smbprn.001291.1Fa47n:hp3".@PJL RDYM
> SG DISPLAY = "akopps smbpr n.001291".@PJL INFO ID.@PJL USTATUSOFF."
>
> followed by the rest of the data file.  Everything past this point
> seems to be identical to when using "hp3test" queue except that when
> using the hp3 name the printer often crashes and stops communication
> before receiving the whole file.
>
> "\2raw\n"
> "\002147 cfA365gold\n"
>
> Hgold
> Pakopps
> Jsmbprn.001291.1Fa47n
> Cgold
> Lakopps
> Aakopps@gold+366
> D2003-07-22-21:40:33.923
> Qhp3.Nsmbprn.001291.1Fa47n
> fdfA366gold
> UdfA366gold
>
>  "\003201844 dfA365gold\n"
>
> "%-12345X@PJL.@PJL RESET.@PJL JOB NAME = "akopps smbprn.001291.1Fa47n:hp3t
> est" DISPLAY = "akopps smbprn.001291.1Fa47n:hp3test".@PJL RDYMSG DISPLAY =
>  "akopps smbprn.001291".@PJL INFO ID.@ PJL USTATUSOFF." etc ..

with:                           | example:
subscribe LIST <mailaddr>       |  subscribe lprng-digest myname@host.org

If you have major problems,  send email to papowell@astart.com with the word
LPRNGLIST in the SUBJECT line.