List:       lprng
Subject:    Re: LPRng: build LPRng with gcc on HP-UX 11i
From:       Patrick Powell <papowell () astart ! com>
Date:       2003-07-30 1:17:54

Please note that almost all SysV derived systems have this bug.
Also, the locale() support has a similar problem.

Sigh...

Patrick

> From lprng@lprng.com Thu Mar 13 13:54:28 2003
> Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 14:01:34 -0700
> From: Danial Howard <howadani@isu.edu>
> Subject: Re: LPRng: build LPRng with gcc on HP-UX 11i
> To: lprng@lprng.com
> Cc: Jin Zhou <jinz@gene.COM>
>
> Jin Zhou wrote:
> > Danial,
> >
> >     I think you are right about the lpd and ifhp problem on HPUX11.x. I had similar
> > problem back to LPRng 3.6.12, here is a link back to my old message
> > http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/services/netzdienste/email/email-archive/lprngAlprng.com/msg04090.html.
> >
> >     The funny things is that it seems that different HPUX11.x respond differently
> > to the fix. Let me know whether it works for you. I'm in the middle of upgrading to
> > LPRng 3.8.20. I'll see what will happen this time.
> >     BTW, I've been always using HP ANSI C compiler. Hope this helps.
> >

> In the archived message above, Jin mentions problems with calls to
> getpwnam, getpwuid in LPRng/ifhp on HP-UX 11.x. I experienced the same
> problems. I went to HP's patch site and searched for the latest libc
> cumulative patch. I found
>
> PHCO_27740 s700_800 11.11 libc cumulative patch
> Creation Date: 02/11/14
> Post Date: 02/11/22
>
> In the patch text, PHCO_27740 supercedes PHCO_27910 which included
> this fix:
>
>          ( SR:8606245321 CR:JAGae11794 )
> 	Application calls any of the APIs getpwnam(3C),getpwuid(3C),
> 	getgrgid(3C), or getgrnam(3C) and forks a new process.
> 	In the context of the child process, it then closes all
> 	open files.When any of the above mentioned APIs are
> 	called again in the child context,the API tries to use
> 	a cached file descriptor which was opened in the parent
> 	context causing undesired results.
>
> 	Resolution:
> 	Libc source has been modified so that the APIs getpwnam(3C),
> 	getpwuid(3C), getgrgid(3C) and getgrnam(3C) will not use
> 	the cached file descriptor in the child context after
> 	fork, if it is closed and reopened.
>
> So, I installed patch PHCO_27740 which contains the above Resolution
> and now LPRng 3.8.20 and ifhp 3.5.10 work just fine on HP-UX 11i. I
> used the HP ANSI-C Compiler (gcc gives too many warnings).
>
> Thanks to Jin Zhou, Ryan Novosielski, and George Bell for their help.
>
> --
> Danial M. Howard--howadani(at)isu.edu
> IT Systems Programmer, Computing and Communications
> Idaho State University, Pocatello, Idaho, USA

with:                           | example:
subscribe LIST <mailaddr>       |  subscribe lprng-digest myname@host.org

If you have major problems,  send email to papowell@astart.com with the word
LPRNGLIST in the SUBJECT line.