List:       lprng
Subject:    Re: LPRng: terminating postscript jobs
From:       Patrick Powell <papowell () astart ! com>
Date:       2003-07-30 1:23:14

> From lprng@lprng.com Tue Mar 18 10:08:22 2003
> Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 17:23:30 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Toby Blake <toby@inf.ed.ac.uk>
> To: lprng@lprng.com
> Subject: LPRng: terminating postscript jobs
>
> Hi all,
>
> What is the correct way to terminate a postscript job (i.e. tell the
> printer that it's definitely finished).
>
> We have had issues with jobs following on from each other, or on a
> locally attached HP2200, not printing until another job is sent.  The
> postscript seems absolutely fine to me - it finishes with %%EOF.  I
> have noted that I can send the UEL command <ESC>%-12345X after the
> postcript job and this seems to fix things.
>
> My question is, is this the correct way to do this, or is there a
> postscript command that I should use?
>
> Toby Blake
> University of Edinburgh

This depends on the printer. But for HP printers that have PCL
support, it is MANDATORY (yes, required!) that you send
<ESC>%-12345X at the START and END of a job.
The one at the START will cause any pages hanging around to be
ejected; the one at the END will cause the pages to be flushed.

Sigh...

Patrick

with:                           | example:
subscribe LIST <mailaddr>       |  subscribe lprng-digest myname@host.org

If you have major problems,  send email to papowell@astart.com with the word
LPRNGLIST in the SUBJECT line.