List:       lprng
Subject:    Re: LPRng: bouncing queue to a remote machine
From:       Bernard Apuntar / System Administrator <bxa () cypress ! com>
Date:       2002-12-17 6:33:07

Joel, I think your second example will work exactly the same as my printcap
entry as per section 4.10.4 of the LPRNng-HOWTO manual:

http://www.lprng.com/LPRng-HOWTO-Multipart/jobfileformatconversion.htm#AEN3031

I will try the first example tomorrow at work but I believe I did the same
thing when I tried (Section 12.11):

    bounce:lp=bounce@bouncehost
    bounce:server
        :lp=lp@remote
        :lpd_bounce
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/%P

I'm just confused with the :server option wether I leave it as is or chnaged
it with the remote or the local print server name?

Thanks,
Bernard

> From lprng@lprng.com Mon Dec 16 18:45:56 2002
> Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 19:59:17 -0500
> From: Joel Hammer <Joel@hammershome.com>
> To: lprng@lprng.com
> Subject: Re: LPRng: bouncing queue to a remote machine
> Sender: owner-lprng@lprng.com
>
> I don't think you have this set up properly.
>
> I have two types of queues which print to remote printers, and I think
> there are more types. Here is  a bounce  queue:
>
> PostScript:\
> lp=PostScript@jhammer6:\
> bq=lp@hammer2:\
> sh:sd=/var/spool/lpd/pre-filtered-z53:mx#0:\
> > if=/usr/local/lexmark/z53/z53.sh
> > sh:
>
> The local printer is jhammer6, and the remote printer is hammer2.
> The local spool is the sd parameter, and the filter resides on the
> local machine as indicated with if.  The lp refers right back to itself.
> I don't know, but this might be able to be set to /dev/null. I haven't
> tried that.  I believe this spools and filters the job locally, and then
> sends it on to the lp queue at hammer2.
>
> This next queue is more simple, and just spools, then sends the job to
> the remote print queue ps at hammer2.
>
> z53|rp1:\
> > sd=/var/spool/lpd/rp1:\
> > rm=hammer2.jhammer.org:\
> > rp=ps:\
> > sh:mx#0:
>
> I am not really sure I understand the benefits of a bounce queue over
> the second method. I guess you can filter the job locally or do whatever,
> like accounting or sending the job to a particular printer or another remote
> print server. I guess you could make this as complicated as you want.
>
> Joel

with:                           | example:
subscribe LIST <mailaddr>       |  subscribe lprng-digest myname@host.org

If you have major problems,  send email to papowell@astart.com with the word
LPRNGLIST in the SUBJECT line.