List:       lprng
Subject:    Re: LPRng: How fast is your printing with accounting?
From:       John Perkins <john () cs ! wisc ! edu>
Date:       2002-12-16 16:18:33

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 17:31:47 +1100
Ashley Smith <ashs@deakin.edu.au> wrote:

> I'd really appreciate feedback from any sites (universities in
> particular) who use lprng with accounting.  How quickly do your
> jobs get printed?  What printers do you use?  What do you set
> your pagecount_poll_* settings to in ifhp.conf?
>
> As a benchmark to beat (should be easy!) I just tested one of our
> Lexmark T616's and printed 6 jobs (12 pages in total) in 5min13sec.
> This is with accurate pagecounting using the following settings:
>
> pagecount_poll_start=1
> pagecount_poll_end=6
> pagecount_poll_interval=5
>
> How much faster is printing with accounting at your site?

Just ran a test on some of our printers.  I'm using a 110-line text file (run through \
a2ps for text->PS conversion to guarantee 66 lines/page), in duplex mode.  Job was \
submitted 6 times (12 pages, 6 sheets of paper) for each printer

	HP 4100DN:		2 min 22 sec
	HP 8100DN:		3 min 4 sec
	Xerox Phaser 5400:	1 min 10 sec

Printer settings:
	pagecount_poll_start=1
	pagecount_poll_end=2
	pagecount_poll_interval=1

waitend and pagecount polls are performed via SNMP queries, not by PJL interrogation, \
at our site.  We needed to do this to deal with some of the quirks of the Phaser \
5400; the solution was trivial to adapt to the HP printers (when armed with SNMP \
MIBs) to get accurate pagecounts from the LaserJet 4100 series printers. \
with:                           | example:
subscribe LIST <mailaddr>       |  subscribe lprng-digest myname@host.org

If you have major problems,  send email to papowell@astart.com with the word
LPRNGLIST in the SUBJECT line.