List:       lprng
Subject:    LPRng: When to convert to TBCP - a possible solution
From:       Rick Cochran <rcc2 () cornell ! edu>
Date:       2002-12-11 20:32:07

The hypothesis I am exploring at the moment is that it's possible to detect
whether a job is TBCP or not. If it is not, then it is either ASCII or BCP.
Running the BCP-to-TBCP filter on ASCII will not change anything, and running it
on BCP will convert it to TBCP.  Therefore, run the filter on any job which is
not TBCP.

According to the TBCP spec, the normal PostScript magic number "%!" is replaced
with "\001M%!" for TBCP jobs.  I have been doing some research with the
thousands of print jobs which flow through my server, and it seems to be true
that no print jobs which have the TBCP magic number contain any of the
characters which the BCP-to-TBCP filter "escapes", and that all of the print
jobs without the TBCP magic number either have no control characters or have
many of the characters which the filter "escapes".  This looks promising.
However, I'm going to wait until the semester is over before installing my new
filter code on the production server.

BTW, the newer Xerox printers seem to print BCP from port 9100 just fine.  Why
don't other printers?

-Rick

--
|Rick Cochran                                   phone: 607-255-7618|
|Cornell CIT - Systems & Operations - Net-Print   FAX: 607-255-8521|

with:                           | example:
subscribe LIST <mailaddr>       |  subscribe lprng-digest myname@host.org

If you have major problems,  send email to papowell@astart.com with the word
LPRNGLIST in the SUBJECT line.