List:       lprng
Subject:    Re: LPRng: Re: lpq changin timeouts on "cannot open connection"
From:       Patrick Powell <papowell () astart ! com>
Date:       2002-04-25 1:34:59

> From lprng@astart2.astart.com Tue Apr 23 04:29:16 2002
> Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 12:24:32 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Villy Kruse <vek@pharmapartners.nl>
> To: lprng@lprng.com
> Subject: Re: LPRng: Re: lpq changin timeouts on "cannot open connection"
>
> On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Patrick Powell wrote:
>

> > Yes, there is an option EXACTLY to handle this.
> >
> > You want to set :remote_support=R
> >
> > This will prevent LPD from getting status from the printer.
> >
> > Most of the time you really do not care what the printer thinks
> > its status is...
> >

> That also prevents LPQ from getting the status from LPD running
> on the same host, unless you split the printcap entry in a :server
> and a :client part.
>
> What we want to acheive is that lpq can query the local lpd server,
> but prevent the lpd server to forward the status query to the printer
> box, many of which can't handle a status query while busy printing.

Ummm.. I think you have the answer:

lp:...: .... common stuff

lp:server:remote_support=R

This is a VERY small change to the printcap file...

> That, of course, is only relevant if you use the lpd protocol to
> talk to a printer box.
>

> Villy

with:                           | example:
subscribe LIST <mailaddr>       |  subscribe lprng-digest myname@host.org

If you have major problems,  send email to papowell@astart.com with the word
LPRNGLIST in the SUBJECT line.