List:       lprng
Subject:    Re: LPRng: "null" converter in ifhp?
From:       Patrick Powell <papowell () astart ! com>
Date:       2001-12-21 2:21:32

> From lprng@astart2.astart.com Thu Dec 20 13:56:12 2001
> To: lprng@lprng.com
> Subject: LPRng: "null" converter in ifhp?
> Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 15:00:30 -0600
> From: John Perkins <john@cs.wisc.edu>
>
> There was some discussion at LISA 2001 about a "null" converter for ifhp--a
> converter to catch any and all file types not covered under the explicit
> conversion rules.  That way, when ifhp runs the GNU file utility and realized
> it's dealing with a raw MS-Word document and has no rule to deal with that, a
> ruleset exists to exit.  As of right now, such files will sit in the queue,
> preventing other jobs from getting processed, for a long, long time.
>
> If anyone (Patrick?) has an ifhp.conf entry for this, please send it on.
> Patrick was speculating at the LISA printing BOF that this may have been a
> "null_converter", but I can find no reference to such a construct in the ifhp
> source code (either 3.4.4, which we run here, or the latest 3.5.1 available
> today).
>
> --
>    John Perkins			  |   University of Wisconsin-Madison
>    Associate Researcher		  |   Department of Computer Science
>    john@cs.wisc.edu		  |   1210 W. Dayton St.
>    608-262-0438/608-262-9997 FAX  |   Madison, WI  53706-1685

You can do:

file_output_match = [
   *ps*         ps  \%s{ps_converter}
   *postscript* ps  \%s{ps_converter}
   *pjl*        pjl \%s{pjl_converter}
   *            msg  no_converter
]

ps_no_converter = %!PS-Adobe-3.0
  /Courier
  findfont 10 scalefont setfont
  72 500 moveto
  (No conversion available for type '\%s{file_output}') show
  showpage

no_converter = No conversion available for type '\%s{file_output}'

This will cause the appropriate string to be sent to STDOUT.

Patrick Powell                 Astart Technologies,
papowell@astart.com            9475 Chesapeake Drive, Suite D,
Network and System             San Diego, CA 92123
  Consulting                   858-874-6543 FAX 858-279-8424
LPRng - Print Spooler (http://www.lprng.com)

with:                           | example:
subscribe LIST <mailaddr>       |  subscribe lprng-digest myname@host.org

If you have major problems,  send email to papowell@astart.com with the word
LPRNGLIST in the SUBJECT line.