List:       lon-capa-admin
Subject:    Re: [LON-CAPA-admin] LON-CAPA and Novell NDS
From:       Guy Albertelli II <guy () albertelli ! com>
Date:       2004-08-05 21:21:06

Hi Phil,

> I'd like to authenticate to our campus
> Novell NDS. Kerberos is not available.
>
> The campus has a student email server (Linux-Postfix-IMP) that
> authenticates via LDAP to NDS.
>
> Can anyone provide any information about
> connecting NDS/LDAP to LON-CAPA?

Lon-CAPA has a authentication mechanism called 'localauth' that allows
you to add in whatever authentication mechanism you have at your
school.

There is a file in

/home/httpd/lib/perl

called localauth.pm

It has 1 function locauth, that is passed 3 arguments

the username
the password the user provided

an optional argument that was saved with the student when the account
was created.

The routine needs to return either a 1 (success) or a 0 (failure)

The perl modules
Net::LDAP
Net::LDAPS

have been used successfully by others to do LDAP auth.

Here is an example LDAP localauth done by FSU

http://zaphod.lite.msu.edu/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/modules/fsu/localauth.pm?rev=1.1;content-type=text%2Fplain

--
guy@albertelli.com  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-3-9-