List:       logback-user
Subject:    Re: [logback-user] Approaches to implement RFC5424 structured data support
From:       Thilo-Alexander Ginkel <thilo () ginkel ! com>
Date:       2012-06-20 15:34:36

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 6:53 PM, Ralph Goers <rgoers@apache.org> wrote:
> As you noted this subject has come up before. It was one of the things that \
> ultimately motivated me to go off and create Log4j 2.  I abandoned the fork at \
> Github when it became clear that there wasn't going to be a good resolution to the \
> issue.

For now I went for an approach using a custom Appender (that inherits
from SyslogAppenderBase), a new ClassicConverter for the syslog header
and another ClassicConverter for the structured data. The latter needs
to inspect the ILoggingEvent's argument array for the presence of a
special interface, which is a little ugly, but technically works...

> I'm not sure what value the second link has.

Me neither. ;-)

> I've gotten RFC 5424 to work with several systems including Splunk, rsyslog and \
> syslog-ng.  FWIW, my use case is Apache Log4j 2 Flume Appender -> Apache Flume -> \
> Apache Cassandra.  What is interesting here is that while RFC 5424 isn't strictly \
> necessary for Flume integration, structured data is, at least for what we are using \
> it for.

For now I "just" need to feed structured data into rsyslog, but this
is probably going to change some time.

Thanks,
Thilo