List:       logback-user
Subject:    [logback-user] Comparison between log4j and logBack
From:       <ivancaspeta () cox ! net>
Date:       2007-10-04 23:09:05

Hi,

We, myself included, just recently performed some research of the various logging \
tools available for Java; for whatever reason we did not include LogBack (honestly I \
did not read about it until today!).

Anyways, as you can imagine, we have chosen log4j as our tool for logging, but we \
have not started implementation as of yet (we would be replacing an in-house tool and \
there are some other things to iron out first), so I would like to ask if there is a \
comparison matrix/table/doc between log4j and logBack.

Some of our selection criteria include:
1.	Several trace levels such as Fatal, Error, Warning, Info, Debug, Verbose, etc.
2.	Ability to apply multiple filters, for example, have VERBOSE tracing turned on for \
Business Logic, and Terse for DAOs, and Error for everything else.  3.	Alternate \
modes for output 4.	Automatic method/class resolution, so I don't have to enter that \
in the code   5.	Ability to collect trace remotely
6.	helper methods for string substitution
7.	Ability to route trace to different files … put all Errors in File A, and at the \
same time Events and Errors in File B.  8.	Log other attributes like Thread Id, \
Class, etc. 9.	Low overhead to performance, "No logging" and "Logging, but disabled" \
should perform about the same, within 5% of each other.  10.	Ability to turn logging \
on/off without re-starting 11.	Ability to change logging levels while app is running; \
i.e., don't need to restart 12.	Can be bundled at no cost, licensing is acceptable.
13.	Configuration should not be rocket science
14.	Chainsaw integration/support
15.	UDP Support
16.     Ability to trace a context, like an Item (NDC).

I am reading as much doc as I can, but I would like to know why should we use logBack \
instead of log4j as the latter is widely used and popular among the Java community.

Thanks for any input provided.

Ivan C