List:       loganalysis
Subject:    Re: swatch autostart - was: [logs] swatchrc file
From:       Sharif Nassar <sharif () mrwacky ! com>
Date:       2003-03-05 21:42:03

Well, it's been almost 2 months since you've posted this query, but I've
finally cought up my loganalysis reading.

I use the redhat 7.x (and probably 8.x as well) compatible swatch.init
that is attached.   put it in /etc/rc.d/init.d and then 'chkconfig --add
swatch.init'.

It starts swatch in a screen ('man screen' for fun details) when the
system boots, using the also attached screenrc which lives in
/root/.screenrc-swatch on my box.

fun for the whole family. change as desired, distribute at will and with
extreme prejudice.

-sharif

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, swatch swatch wrote:

> I now face another challenge with swatch.
>
> 1. I want swatch to start automatically should the server be rebooted for
> some reason.  This is the command i use to start swatch manually:
>
> # /usr/local/bin/swatch -c /var/log/swatchrc -t /var/log/messages --daemon
>
> Where would i put this command so that it starts swatch automatically.  Do i
> have to create a shell script or something?  If so, what is the proper
> syntax?
>
> 2. I have setup one swatchrc file but i have 7 instances of swatch running
> to look in separate log files (based on how i have syslog.conf setup in
> redhat 7.2).  This includes 3 facilities I created (local0 through local2).
>
> What i want to do is setup 7 swatchrc files.  One swatchrc file for every
> logfile.  Is this possible?  If so, do i just name my swatchrc files
> swatchrc1 through swatchrc7 and configure each one to look for specific
> information depending on what logfile it is pointed at?  For example, if i
> have swatchrc1 setup to look in /var/log/kernel and swatchrc2 to look in
> /var/log/messages would these be my startup scripts (remember i want to put
> these scripts somewhere where they will start automatically should the
> server be rebooted).
>
> # /usr/local/bin/swatch -c /var/log/swatchrc1 -t /var/log/kernel --daemon
>
> # /usr/local/bin/swatch -c /var/log/swatchrc2 -t /var/log/messages --daemon
>
> All help is appreciated.  Thanks!

["swatch.init" (TEXT/PLAIN)]

#!/bin/sh
# chkconfig: 35 55 45

# Source function library.
. /etc/init.d/functions

prog="swatch"

[ -f /etc/swatchrc ] || exit 0
[ -f /usr/bin/swatch ] || exit 0

RETVAL=0

start() {
        echo -n $"Starting $prog: "

	if [ $(screen -list |grep -c swatch) -lt 1 ] ; then
		daemon screen -A -m -d -S swatch -c /root/.screenrc-swatch
	fi

 	RETVAL=$?
        echo
        [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/$prog
	return $RETVAL
}

stop() {
        echo -n $"Stopping $prog: "
	killproc $prog
        RETVAL=$?
        echo
        [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && rm -f /var/lock/subsys/$prog
	return $RETVAL
}

restart() {
	stop
	start
}

# See how we were called.
case "$1" in
  start)
	start
	;;
  stop)
	stop
	;;
  status)
	status $prog
	;;
  restart|reload)
	restart
	;;
  condrestart)
	[ -f /var/lock/subsys/$prog ] && restart || :
	;;
  *)
	echo $"Usage: $0 {start|stop|status|restart|reload|condrestart}"
	exit 1
esac

exit $?

["screenrc-swatch" (TEXT/PLAIN)]

# panacea .screenrc file
bell 'Bell in window %~'
bind '^\'
bind '\\'
bind k
bind K
defflow off
defscrollback 500
startup_message off
nethack on
#obuflimit

deflogin off
screen 0  swatch -c /etc/swatchrc -t /var/log/messages  -r 04:06