List:       log4j-user
Subject:    Re: Newbie question...
From:       Scott Deboy <scott.deboy () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-04-14 17:47:44

1. Chainsaw can process regular text log files by via LogFilePatternReceiver
- see the Welcome tab/View example receiver configuration.  Copy that
example and remove all plugins except the logfilepatternreceiver entry,
modifying the parameters for that entry to match your log file.  See the
LogFilePatternReceiver JavaDoc for more information on the logFormat
(available from Chainsaw's help menu).  Specify the URL for this config file
in the application-wide prefs, Automatic Configuration URL box, and restart
Chainsaw.
2. Chainsaw provides an expression syntax which supports relational and
logical operators, regular expressions, etc. - see the Chainsaw tutorial,
available from Chainsaw's help menu.
3. You can filter, search and colorize all using Chainsaw's expression
syntax

Feel free to post to the mailing list if you have more questions.

Scott